One doesn’t have to be an expert to create an impact at home! A few licks of paint in the right colour will give your home a new lease of life. ManoMano has a range of ideas for you: whether you want to fool the eye and make a room seem bigger, hide flaws or showcase some key features. So let’s get started on our new projects to transform your home today!
1. REFRESH A ROOM – OR TWO!
The most straightforward project to start with and add character to any room is with a fresh coat of paint.
We recommend combining or contrasting colours in each room to create a mood that best suits your style and way of life. In a bedroom, for example, a warm beige wall will make the space extra cosy, whereas a moss green one will invite you kick back and relax.
While dark colours generally make rooms appear smaller, adding one darker wall in a living room, for example, will open the space up visually.
If you feel inspired to add even more colour, we recommend repainting your hallway or the often-neglected toilet room to set them apart from the rest of your home.
2. FRESH PAINT FOR TIRED FURNITURE
Grown tired of your coffee table? Or perhaps you want to keep that sideboard passed down through the generations, but it doesn’t work with your living room décor? There’s no time like the present for new projects to transform older pieces into a new contemporary design pieces.
- A touch of magic: choose the right colour and finish to repaint your old furniture.
- Another great technique is repainting shelves, so they stand out from the colour of your walls.
- Don’t forget the dining room! Give your table a fresh coat of wood paint.
3. PAINT YOURSELF A HEADBOARD
You can create a headboard using only paint and a paintbrush.
Before you begin, mark out the space you want to paint. We recommend approximately 20 centimetres on each side of your bed and 1 meter above it. To make your bed really stand out, go for darker colours.
And if you’re feeling particularly inspired, try playing with shapes and colours to create a more original headboard.
Tip: For clean lines, use masking tape to draw out your headboard; you can remove them once the paint has properly dried.
4. LET YOUR MIRRORS SHINE
As tastes in home décor change over time, mirrors are often left in the shadows. As luck would have it, there are lots of painting tricks and techniques out there to make sure your mirrors stay current.
- We recommend painting the frame in the same colour as the wall upon which your mirror hangs. This technique ensures your mirror is blends into the décor and it also helps make your room appear larger.
- If vintage is your thing, opt for metallic paints in either silver or gold.
Remember to protect the surface of your mirror with tape hard-to-clean paint traces will ruin the effect.
5. ADD A SPLASH OF COLOUR TO YOUR KITCHEN
Are you desperate for projects to transform your kitchen but not quite prepared to undertake major renovations? Consider repainting your kitchen, where the sky’s the limit: splashback, furniture and floors!
- Create a splashback along your kitchen, thinking about adding extra protection over your sink or cooker.
- You could even paint the kitchen tiles, for a quick solution and a fresh look!
- If your kitchen needs more extensive work, see our guide on giving your kitchen a total makeover.
6. LET CREATIVITY RUN FREE WITH CHALKBOARD PAINT
While it’s common knowledge that children love drawing on walls, not every parent enjoys this creative outlet in the home. Consider transforming a designated surface or even wall into an endless blank canvas with chalkboard paint. Armed with some coloured chalk, kids can create to their heart’s delight: this paint is washable!
TIME TO PICK UP YOUR BRUSHES (and rollers) AND KICK START YOUR VERY OWN PAINT PROJECTS TO TRANSFORM YOUR HOME! Looking for painting materials? Visit manomano.co.uk to view our wide selection of paints & painting accessories.