In this article, we’ll be showing you seven kinds of fruit that are particularly easy to grow from seeds, either directly in pots or in your garden. With a little effort, you can get your five-a-day and save money too!
Have you ever dreamed about having your own fruit tree?
Almost any fruit you eat at home can be reproduced from its seeds. So, what are you waiting for? 🙂
Cherry trees are super resilient when it comes to cold weather, so an ideal choice even during the winter months.
To grow your own at home, simply follow these steps:
1. Wash the seeds, known as stones, and make sure you remove all the pulp.
2. To speed up the germination process, gently rub your cherry stones on a rough surface.
3. Place all the stones on some damp kitchen roll in a plastic container and put the container in the refrigerator.
4. Once you see that they are germinating, plant them in the garden.
After that, you’ll need a bit of patience: cherry trees can take up to five years to bear fruit, but it’s well worth the wait!
You can grow your own lemon tree directly from the seeds of a lemon. It grows nicely in both pots and the garden.
However, bear in mind that lemon trees are very sensitive to cold. For that reason, we recommend planting your seeds at the onset of warm weather.
3. Mandarin oranges
As with lemons, you can also plant mandarin oranges or tangerines from their seeds in either pots or in the garden.
Once you have removed the seeds from the apple, you get them to sprout.
To do this, you’ll need to wrap them in some damp kitchen roll, place them in a closed bag and leave them in the refrigerator.
Once they’ve sprouted, they’re ready to plant!
Once the seeds have germinated, you can easily transplant them.
This tree for this citrus-like fruit grows in all types of soil and requires little care.
To grow from seeds and plant them:
1. Clean the loquat seeds making sure to remove all the pulp.
2. Put some kitchen roll in a container, place the seeds on top and then add some damp kitchen roll over them.
3. Close the container and wait for a few weeks. Once the seeds have sprouted, it’s time to plant them.
The first step towards having your very own pear tree is to germinate the seeds by placing them in a glass with cotton wool and water.
When you see that they are growing, you should transfer them to a pot.
After a while, your pear tree will get bigger, showing you that it’s time to move it into the garden.
To grow an avocado tree, you must first remove the stone from the fruit and wash it.
Next, insert three or four toothpicks into the centre of the stone and carefully place it in a glass of water, as shown in the photo. After a few weeks, you will see a root begin to sprout from the bottom. Once the root has reached a length of 10 cm, you must remove the stone from the glass, take out the toothpicks and plant it in a pot.
Smashed avocado anyone?
Did you already know these fruit trees could be grown from seeds at home?
Need to find tools for your planting projects? Visit our ManoMano site for all your gardening & home improvement needs.