Why take up so much of your time searching for you ideal dream wallpaper print when you could just make it yourself? This handy guide will give you all the tips and tricks to create your own design on a paint roller, to cover all the wallpaper you’ve ever dreamed of. You could even use a rolling pin or lint roller instead of a paint roller, so you’re guaranteed to already have most of the objects in your house!
The tools and materials you will need to make this DIY are as follows:
- Paint roller
- Cutting mat
- Tracing paper
- Craft foam
- Scalpel or craft knife
- Paint tray
- Wallpaper (plain)
- Lay out your plain wallpaper on a flat surface, making sure that the corners are secured to the floor to avoid any movement or creasing.
- Start off by deciding on the design you’d like to create, depending on your wildest wallpaper desires. We would recommend a template similar to the one below, but feel free to get as creative as you wish if you’re feeling fancy! This geometric one is great as it’s straightforward to design and cut out with a ruler, so that you can be sure to have straight lines and neat edges.
3. In order to prep your design for your paint roller, use your pencil and ruler to trace the outline of the design on the tracing paper.
4. Flip over the tracing paper and then transfer the design onto your craft foam by going over the outline once again.
5. Once you have your outline on the foam, lay out your cutting mat and scalpel or craft knife and begin to cut the shape out. Use your ruler as a guide to achieve the straightest lines possible.
6. Cut out as many shapes as you wish and play around with how you’d like them to be positioned on your paint roller. Cut yourself some slack, they don’t have to be perfect! You could do them in lines or place them randomly, wall-ever works for you!
7. Put some of your glue on the back of your cut outs and then stick them directly onto your roller of choice.
8. Once fully dry (don’t be tempted to skip this part or you’ll be heading for a wall of shame!), put some paint in your paint tray and use your newly designed paint roller in the tray, making sure to cover all your foam pieces.
Your roller is then ready to use! Paint your design on by rolling your paint roller vertically along your wallpaper. Make sure to pay extra attention when aligning your next line of paint to match up with the one before so that the patterns are symmetrical. Be sure to align your patterns with extra care!
Alternatively, other methods of creating a design include cutting your pattern directly onto the roller for a more intricate pattern similar to the one below. If you were to choose this method, make sure you use a rubber paint roller or a wooden rolling pin as they are easier to cut through.
You can also use other objects to create patterns. Covering it with materials such as bubble wrap, and even slightly bunched up cling film gives a great effect, just play around with it, you’ll soon be on a roll! One of our personal favourites is to place lots of rubber bands around your roller and then cover it in paint, leaving you with straight lines like this.
This decoration hack saves you lots of searching time and money and can be adapted really easily to whatever design works for you. If you give this a go do let us know so we can see your wonderful creations ourselves and don’t forget to use the hashtag #ManoMaker, happy DIY-ing!