There are garden jobs to do all year round and October is no different! Start protecting your plants for the coming cold, insulate your greenhouse, and clear away those many, many fallen leaves. Stay on top of things with these essential gardening jobs for October!
Flower Garden Jobs
- Put any fallen leaves in a compost heap. For a full guide to dealing with the Autumn leaves, click here.
- If you’re thinking of planting large trees or shrubs, October is a good month for this as their roots have enough time to establish before winter sets in.
- Prune shrubs like Cornus alba, Buddleja davidii, and Lavatera.
- Tie in any climbers to protect them from autumnal winds. Cover anything delicate which can’t be brought inside with horticultural fleece.
Vegetable patch jobs
- If you’re harvesting pumpkins, do this when their skin begins to harden.
- Pick apples and pears. Prune your blackberries and cabbages (make a crosscut in cabbage stems).
- Plant autumn garlic and onion (you may also consider doing this in your greenhouse).
- Plant root fruit trees such as apples, cherries and plums.
- Ensure your greenhouse is protected from the growing cold (check out our guide to greenhouse insulation). Remember to ventilate it on days which are a little warmer.
- Bring tender plants into your greenhouse to protect them from the frost
- Continue removing dead plant material to prevent any fungal disease.
- Clean your greenhouse with detergent and disinfectant. Be thorough – the cleaning will deter pests.