Start off the new growing year right! These essential gardening jobs for January will get you on track for a fruitful year.
- Prune those plants that need it – including Wisteria (cutting by 2-3 buds) and rose bushes.
- If you’re planting bare root roses, find a sunny position and plant them now.
- Cut down stems on perennial plants (eg. Sedum).
- Tend to Hellebore plants, removing old leaves to make new blooms visible.
- Harvest parsnips and leeks.
- If you’re looking for something to plant, mushrooms can be planted at this time of year and early potatoes can be sprouted.
- Remove leaves which are beginning to yellow from your winter brassicas as this will help prevent pests and disease.
- Towards the end of the month, plant early peas.
- Plant Amaryllis plants indoors in pots, and these will flower beautifully in early spring.
- If growing potatoes, keep these inside your greenhouse so they avoid frost.
- Propagators or electric propagators can be used to help early seedlings.
- If snow covers the top of your greenhouse, be sure to remove it as soon as possible.