Cleaning the car is a chore, but it becomes easier (and more fun!) with a vacuum cleaner. Unfortunately those mini vacuum cleaners are often expensive for their size, but don’t worry! You can make your own DIY vacuum cleaner to make cleaning the car fun. This tutorial will show you to create your own DIY vacuum so no one will ever avoid your car seats again.
What materials do I need?
- 2-litre plastic bottle
- 1 drinks can, deodorant, or other aluminium container
- Small electric motor (12 volts) and batteries
- A piece of gauze and wire
- Glue gun
- Double-sided adhesive tape
- A tube (for the suction tube)
- Insulation tape
Step by Step
1. The first thing to do is to thoroughly clean the plastic bottle. Once you have cleaned it, cut the bottle into three sections. When the sections are cut up and separated, remove the middle part.
2. Make some small holes in the bottom of the bottle.
3. Take the can of soda or deodorant and carefully cut it open (using the saw and cutters) to get a flat aluminium surface.
4. Once you have the can flat surface, place the bottom of the bottle on top and trace the circumference with a marker. Cut the resulting circle out using your cutters.
5. Now, using a ruler, make a cross to find the center. Using the bottle top, draw another circle around the center of the aluminium circle. Next cut along your lines from the edge into the inner circle. Make 4 main cuts following the lines you have marked, then 4 more cuts between them.
6. Make a small hole in the middle of the circle.
7. Fold each part you have cut to make a propeller (this will be the fan for your DIY vacuum cleaner)
8. Attach the small motor to the fan with the help of the putty. Simply poke the shaft of the motor through the hole in the centre of your propeller and fix it using the putty.
9. Make a larger hole in the bottom of the bottle and insert the engine. Fix it in place using the glue gun.
10. Place several layers of double-sided tape on the bottle, as shown in the image.
11. Using your wire, create a small metal ring that fits inside the bottle. Once you’ve made your ring, glue the gauze onto it and cut it to the same size. This is the filter for your DIY vacuum cleaner.
12. Now you can seal the bottle (or your future vacuum cleaner) and you only need to place the tube (pay attention to the size of the neck of the bottle and make sure that the tube fits smoothly).
13. With the aid of the insulating tape, stick the two parts of the bottle tightly together so that there are no gaps.
14. Ta-da! You already have a new vacuum cleaner!