Although barbecue season has not yet officially started yet, you can get a head-start with this DIY BBQ. As the weather starts to brighten, prepare now so you can make the most of your garden when it really warms up. Learn how to easily convert a tyre rim into a DIY BBQ.
All health and safety issues are explained below:
- An old tyre rim
- Heat resistant paint
- Round tyre rim-sized grill
- Wood for the base of the barbecue
- A tube (square or round)
- 4 bolts and the corresponding nuts
- 2 threaded rods of 0,5 cm and the nuts (for the base of the barbecue)
- 4 wheels
- 4 screws
- Two threaded washers (see pictures)
- A metal plate
1. Separate the tyre from the rim, if it is still attached, and then cover the rim. If necessary cover it with anti-rust spray. Add heat resistant black paint.
2. Prepare your wood base. You can take this opportunity to use up any pieces of wood you have lying around. Although this tutorial has a BBQ with a square base, feel free to make any shape that suits you.
3. Paint the tube, the washers (which you will use to join the barbecue to the wooden base) and the screws.
4. Connect the base and the barbecue with the tube without forgetting to add a plate of metal to the bottom of the rim (so that the embers does not fall on your feet during your relaxing afternoon).
5. Place the 4 wheels on the base, and paint them (in black or the colour you want).
6. You can add accessories to your barbecue, such as a hook for cooking utensils. You can then add the grid over the rim.
7. And … Tadaaa! It’s time to leave the kitchen to enjoy your summer in the sun!
Now that you have a DIY BBQ to enjoy in the sun, why not create your own swimming pool for under £100?
Don’t forget to keep your barbecue clean with our handy tips.